Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

netball?

I went to watch my roommate play in a netball game. Yes, she is on the University of Wolverhampton's team. But from the pictures you can tell I was the only fan there.

From this picture you can compare a netball basket and a basketball basket.

The referee didn't even have on a uniform.

And yes they wear skirts to play in. After watching for a few minutes it just made me cringe because it looked like someone invented the game during the Victorian Era as a wanna be basketball sport. Like they didn't want women to exert themselves. I went to wikipedia to check out the history of netball, and sure enough I was right. The original rules were "designed to accommodate the social norms regarding appropriate conduct and attire for women, and contemporary notions on their limited physical capacity." I had seen netball when I was in South Africa and knew I didn't like it immediately because of how limiting it was. Of course I will continue to go to support my roommate.

No comments: