Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Spackman geneology

My Mom found this on footnote.com. This is our first Spackman ancestor to come to America from England, Thomas S. E. Spackman. This is his passport application in August 11, 1862. He was born March 6th, 1814 in England. It says he has fair/gray hair, blue eyes, 5' 7 ½" tall.

I am amazed that after six generations I have blue eyes too. Plus, I am taller than him. He actually has a cool story. He was born in Bristol, England, married to Sarah Ann "Annie" Bushnell and lived in London. They had four kids, three boys and a girl. Turns out Annie was crazy, so they put her in a hospital. Thomas took off with the boys for New York and left Annie in the hospital with the daughter. The middle son, also named Thomas, took off for the California gold rush, stopped in Salt Lake for supplies and ended up meeting Sarah Ann Criddle, a good Mormon girl. He converted and they got married in 1863, I am related through their son William Henry Spackman who moved to Alberta, Canada. I love hearing these stories.

2 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

I love this kind of thing!

Several years ago on a girls' trip, we went to Ellis Island and found my grandfather's ship manifest--and found out that HE is where my girls get their red hair from.

My husband's side has some Criddles. I wonder if he's a relation somehow.

Thanks for dropping by my blog, Teri! It's great to be in touch again.

Lisa said...

That's so great! Thanks for posting. I think Nanc needs to start a family genealogy blog and type up all these kinds of stories. Very cool!