Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gaye Merrill

Gaye Merrill has been the Director of Sports Medicine at BYU for the last couple of years, but she has been there for many years. She died Monday of cancer. It is sad to think the last time I was in the Athletic Training Room over Thanksgiving was when I saw her and she looked fine. I didn't know she had cancer, or was sick. Gaye was the ATC over all the student trainers after I got home from mission. She is the one I learned about professionalism in athletic training. I was covering the cheerleaders one football game, it was a hot day so I wore shorts. On Monday I got a comment from her how at other schools they may wear shorts at football games, but at BYU we wear pants.
When I taught at Tooele High School, I called Gaye to ask if I could bring my students in to do the modalities lab. She had set up this whole thing (with ultrasound, diathermy, massage, e-stim, etc) and then gave all my students T-shirts afterward. She didn't need to, but she did anyway.
Her funeral is next week and they set up a blog so everyone could share their stories.
Thanks Gaye

No comments: