Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Julie/Julia project

I started reading the book the movie is based on, which is based on a blog. The real life person is named Julie Powell, here is her link. The story is she had a boring life, so her husband convinced her to write a blog about her experiences cooking all the recipes from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. My "beef" is that her family did not support her! She quotes her mother and the frequent saying is "your pushing yourself too hard". Oh please! Like it is really difficult to read a cook book then do the recipe! There is definately a difference between cooking and joining the Navy Seals, so what do you think is "pushing yourself too hard"? Maybe I am coming from a different perspective since I have a family that will support me in whatever crazy idea I come up with (yeah like, I want to go to England for my PhD). So I must say thanks to my family and friends who are supportive!!!
Plus I must say that French cooking requires LOTS of butter, lard, gelatin, and other versions of things that harden the arteries. I can't even fathom eating all of that after reading the book.

*I must warn you she swears frequently, so if you don't like swearing don't read it.

2 comments:

Denae said...

LOVE her blog and I'm going to read her memoir. Thanks for the tips. Maybe her fam means the book writing is the tough part. I'm on my 3rd book proposal of 20 pages (ugh) which includes massive amounts of book market research. Hard to do outside of a full-time job.

Teri's Blog said...

Good Luck!