Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pasta Salad Variations

 I got a recipe for a yummy pasta salad from another Athletic Trainer when I lived in Texas. Over the years I have altered it. I really try to make it different every time. 


 The day I made this version I used spaghetti and bow tie pasta, tomatoes, potatoes, sunflower kernels, cucumbers, beef strips, cheddar cheese, and ranch dressing. I usually add the sunflower kernels in the winter because they have zinc and zinc is good for your immune system. 


I have used spaghetti, vermicelli, fettuccine, linguine, tagliatelle, cavatappi, rotini, gemelli (personal favorite), penne, rigatoni, farfalle (bow tie), and radiatori pasta noodles. You can make it with your favorite type, then add whatever veggies are your favorite or in season. Usually in the summer I cool off the pasta and keep it warm in the winter. 

I have used broccoli, cauliflower, corn, spinach, lettuce, green beans, watercress, onion, celery, asparagus, potatoes, radish, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, pepper (various colors), and avocado veggies. I try to mix colors so it's not all green or else it looks boring. Plus, if you need to make it for a big group of people you can add more veggies or pasta. 

Be careful of adding mushy avocados if kids are going to eat it. The mushy avocados turns the salad brown and kids (specifically my nephew) have no desire to eat brown food unless it's chocolate.


Occasionally I will add chicken, but lately I have added beef to help increase Dave's low iron count. The spices on the beef in the picture is Ina Paarman Garlic & Herb Seasoning, I guess you could call it the secret ingredient I brought back from South Africa. There is a shop in London where I get it.

Almost last ingredient I add is cheese. I have used mozzarella, provolone, cheddar, stilton, monterey jack, feta, and parmesan, but again add to your taste buds. 

Lastly I add a dressing. I have used ranch, french, creamy italian, thousand island, russian, various vinaigrettes, honey dijon, and parmesan peppercorn, again add to taste. One time I didn't have dressing in my fridge, but I did have avocados and that worked just fine. Then I toss/mix and eat. 

Enjoy, Dave & I do!

No comments: