Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

my PB - Faith

PB's are a very personal thing. Some people call them their own personal set of scriptures straight from Heavenly Father. It is not common for people to share their PB, except which tribe of Israel they come from (I'm from Ephraim). Since my ancestors are dead I don't have a problem sharing, because sometimes there are things in their blessings that affect future generations, like me, so I feel my family should know about them too. However, I have been sharing my ancestor's PB so I figured I should share part of mine.

"All spiritual gifts come from the Lord and not from men, for the benefit of all mankind. You are given the gift of faith. Faith to believe in the scriptures. Faith to believe the words of the prophets. Faith to follow the church and priesthood leaders. Faith to call in the elders in times of need. Faith to be healed in times of sickness and distress."

I always thought this was a cool paragraph about a gift I was given by Heavenly Father, but a couple of years ago I looked up the three scripture passages that are about the Spiritual Gifts: 1 Corinthians 12:4-10, Moroni 10:8-18 , and Doctrine and Covenants 46:11-26. Each one says something different about the Gift of Faith.

1 Corinthians 12: 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

Moroni 10:11 And to another, exceedingly great faith; and to another, the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

Doctrine and Covenants 46: 19-20 And again, to some it is given to have faith to be healed; And to others it is given to have faith to heal.

I was surprised that they all said similar things, but worded differently. However, from my PB and the scriptures, it does seem faith and healing are connected. Does that mean I will have a serious illness/injury in my future which will require healing since I already have faith?

I remember being in the Missionary Training Center and we were doing a practice teaching session with some other missionaries. The teachers would walk around the room and listen in on the practicing, give tips on how to do something better, then continue wandering the room. This one Elder and I (and our comps) were practicing helping identify the Holy Spirit/Ghost in our lives, and in the moment, to the future people we would teach. This one teacher stopped us and wanted us to identify when the Holy Ghost revealed to us when we knew the Gospel of Jesus Christ was true. The Elder gave his answer and the teacher looked over at me and wanted me to answer, but I couldn't. Only because I knew I couldn't give him an answer because of this Gift of Faith. I have always known the Church was true. I have always know what the prophets have said are true. I had no Ah-ha moment because I have always known. And I really did not want to tell this teacher I had no reveal or about my Gift. So I told him he was interrupting a spiritual experience and made him go away.

I always feel bad when I share the gospel with people and I can't relate to them having personal revelation to know the Gospel is true, when I haven't had a similar experience because of my Gift. Plus, trying to explain the Gift of Faith to someone who doesn't know what a spiritual gift is, is kinda weird and makes for a longer conversation than what people want to have. Usually people just want a short answer, but this is not one of those short conversations. I guess this is me sharing my testimony, or at least part of it. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: