Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

cars and sunday school

[I must preface this by saying it is Dave's car, not mine. I would never have bought that car. It's too small for someone as tall as Dave.] Well, Dave took the car to get inspected and it failed. There are multiple things wrong with it and the mechanic said it would cost £400 to fix it. So...yep, we don't have the money right now to fix it so we have to wait until Dave's next pay check. So the past couple of weeks Dave has had to take the bus to work and we have walked to church with our friend Wanda driving us home afterward. I don't mind walking everywhere, but there is the odd need to go farther than around Walsall, which puts a kink in hanging out with friends. Dave calculated that it now is cheaper to have a car in England than it is to ride the bus/train. The bus/train companies have increased their prices so much that it's cheaper to drive. It costs £1.70 to ride the bus/train one way. I will be glad when the car gets fixed. Hopefully a new battery will be installed on Monday so Dave can actually drive it to the mechanics to get fixed!

I have taught a couple of lessons in my new Sunday School class. It's the new member/investigator class. The manual is just the one that they have been using for RS/Priesthood lessons for the last couple of years. However, there is only one person in the class and he is in his 70's. He was baptized about two years ago, but he is a slow learner so that is why he has stayed in the class instead of moving on to to regular adult SS class. In the second class I taught, I found out he doesn't have his PB yet, so I decided to do a lesson on that (instead of the manual) to help him get on the path to get his PB. This really helped me understand where his gospel knowledge is, which is pretty basic. He was confusing baptisms and blessings. I decided the next lesson will be on teaching the differences between the kinds of blessings there are with the Priesthood. I think I will have to do more of a demonstration too, instead of just stand at the front of the class and speak. Good thing the missionaries go to the class, I can recruit them to help. I'll let you know if it works.

No comments: