Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

David Miliband MP

Last week the university announced David Miliband was coming to campus to speak. He is an MP (I don't know what MP stands for, but it's like the Parliament version of the House of Representatives) for South Shields, which is in northeast England. Back in 2010 "my Dave" voted for him to be the next leader of the Labour Party. Dave is a card carrying member of the Labour Party, which I think is the British version of the Democratic Party. Anyway, David Miliband lost the election to his brother Ed, which is kinda funny.
They had it set up as more of a Q&A, so people were asking all sorts of questions. This guy was blogging the whole time, so you can go to his blog and check it out. Towards the middle of the session the mediator/guy who picked the people for the questions was standing in front of a microphone and clicking his pen. It was annoying, so I stood up and asked him to stop. Then David Miliband asked me if he was doing anything that annoyed me, he wasn't. I got a few laughs and an applause. Actually, if I was a British citizen I would vote for him. He had clear and passionate answers and was able to make bad questions into good answers. Since there was no media there was no pressure for a sound bite.

The bald guy on the right was the clicker.
If you can see the wall behind them it has the list of David Miliband's websites.

Do you think he has a politician power tie on?

No comments: