Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Lecture Series: Cardio improvement with a CrossFit WOD

Since I started CrossFit two years ago it has helped my idea of what and how to improve my cardio. The example I would give when I teach about cardio, let's use ballroom since that is my PhD specialty, one round of a DanceSport competition is 10 minutes long. Therefore, your cardio training should be a minimum of 10 minutes. Ideally you should know what your heart rate is during competition that way you know what intensity level you should train at. I have a favorite WOD (workout of the day) and I made a YouTube video of it as a sample. I am also of the opinion that if you are teaching something you should be able to do it, even if it isn't pretty.

10 minute AMRAP
10 kettlebell swing (53/35)
10 box jumps (24/20)
10 wall balls (20/14)

or 

10 RFT
10 kettlebell swing (53/35)
10 box jumps (24/20)
10 wall balls (20/14)
optional: rest 30 seconds to 1 minute between rounds

The weights in parentheses next to kettlebell swing and wall ball are the typical prescribed weight in CrossFit and the number next to box jump is the prescribed height of the box in inches you should jump on. The first number is for men and the second is for women. It's better to work your way up to those weights. On the RFT WOD I added a optional rest to simulate a ballroom competition round. One thing to add about the kettlebells, I prefer (as you saw in the YouTube video) to do American swings which means you start with the bell facing the floor and end at eye level, whereas with Russian swings you end with the bell facing the sky. 
AMRAP=As many repetitions as possible 
RFT=Rounds for time

These are my three favorite movements in CrossFit, not only because I can actually do them, but also they are full body movements. You will be surprised at how hard they make you work. In CrossFit there is a lifting movement called the thruster, which is basically a wall ball but with a barbell instead of a ball, thus you can lift more weight than a ball. 

No comments: