Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

socialized medicine part 2

Ok, I had something simple and annoying, ingrown toe nail, back in June. So I asked the GP to refer me to a podiatrist to get it taken care of. In England that means the GP gets on his computer and sends in a referral request. Then I get a letter in the mail saying when and where the appointment will be. Usually this only takes a couple of weeks. I still haven't gotten my letter, ... and it's January.
My Mom decided I should come home to do some wedding planning, so I decided to get my toe fixed while I am in Utah. I just got back from the podiatrist, it only took 30 minutes. And there are people that want socialized medicine in America? I don't think it is a good idea.

5 comments:

Denae said...

I agree. The service can be slow in London when it comes to medical attention. However, at least it is free/affordable! I have a $2,000 deductible to meet before any of my healthcare is paid for. I would have to just get a knife, alcohol and Neosporin to deal with an ingrown toenail right now. I can't even afford treatment! My prescription medication is very expensive but won't add up to $2,000 for a longggg time. I told Kings to get all of his medical issues taken care of before he moves to the US!

Denae said...

P.S. The marriage countdown at the top of your blog is adorable!

Teri's Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teri's Blog said...

But people forget that it's not actually free. They pay serious taxes in Europe

Thanks, I got the ticker at theknot.com.

● C E L I N A ● said...

See I hear mixed reviews.

I know a doctor that practices in Canada, he is from the US and went to medical school here. He got sick of not being able to treat his patients without worrying about what he could bill for. So he moved.

Hi biggest criticism was that because everyone needs equal access that sometimes new treatments/technology takes a while to get there.


I need to do more research so I can be informed about it.