Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This one is for you Debbie!

I went up to Southport to have Ron fix my back and to watch BYU perform. This is a great little town! If you ever have the chance to come to England, must come here! The picture is of the Theatre BYU performed at.

I was driving back to Southport from Colne and got stuck behind this tractor for a while.

My rental car actually had four doors. It wasn't a tiny thing I usually see on the road.

Jared (this is his second time on the team) and Rosemary (she was on the latin team and now lives in the UK)

Ron and his wife Leslie. Ron is the Head Athletic Trainer for the Dance Dept at BYU. I was his first grad assistant. He is my favorite former boss!

The bridge you see going into Colne. My cousin Debbie told me I should go find where our Riding ancestors came from. Well, I went on FamilySearch and found which town Christopher Lister Riding is from (Colne) and then found it on Google maps and realized it wasn't that far from Southport, so I decided to just drive there and check it out. Of course I got lost and did not call my brother for directions, even though that is what I normally do.

Colne is very hilly and cute. The cemetery is also hilly.

The cows were making a fuss.

Someone wrote music on their gravestone. Can you play this?

This guy was from Colne and died on the Titanic, thus the toy boat in front.

This is the building that looks like a church on the top of the hill overlooking the cemetery. I did not find my ancestors, as they left Colne in the 1850ish range and the oldest gravestone I saw was 1864, so there must be an older cemetery in town. I will have to call the city council up for more information before I head there again.

1 comment:

Monica said...

I'm quite envious of all the travel, it looks like so much fun. I took a tour of Europe back when I was 19 and some day I'll get back.

The titanic headstone and boat is really amusing to me and I can't figure out exactly why.