Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Blackpool

This week is the Blackpool Dance Festival, which is the biggest ballroom competition in the world. I went with BYU in 2004, but since I am only 2.5 hours away I had to come watch BYU compete again. My friend Jared was an alternate on the team in 2004, so he tried out and made it this year.
Sometimes teams don't come to Blackpool the years BYU goes because they don't want to compete against them because they win alot, but this time the Chinese, Germans, and UVU came as well. I made it in time to watch band call, which is the official rehearsal the day of competition. All the teams looked good at rehearsal and they were good during competition. I am glad I wasn't a judge, I thought it was close. BYU did an in-your-face Proud to be an American routine, which made me nervous since in the world there is anti-American sediment, but BYU got first! Here are the results 1. BYU 2. Chinese 3. Germans 4. UVU. UVU had a REALLY good opening sequence, so I was surprised they got 4th, and the Germans did a Soviet military Romeo and Juliet, which was technically good, but weird. (click on Germans and you can watch a You Tube of their routine at another competition.) The Chinese were also technically good, but had more artistry than the Germans.
Plus I got to hang out with one of my former dancers Rosemary. She married an Englishman and lives here now. It was fun to see her and Ron, my coolest former boss ever! I also did some recruiting for my future research to get them to participate.
Here are some pictures, but my camera battery died, so I didn't get very many.

Winter Gardens is the Ballroom where the competition is held

The famous Blackpool Tower


Inside the ballroom
The beginning of BYU's routine, they performed 2nd, Jared is somewhere in that back row of guys, they all look different with slicked back hair and the tanning


All together now
Plus my camera does not do action shots well, but this is the opening lift

No comments: