Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

National Athletic Training Month

March is National Athletic Training Month. So technically I should be writing my name as Teri Riding, MS, ATC and after I graduate with my doctorate I will be Teri Riding PhD, ATC. I have Athletic Trainer friends that have this at the end of every email:

Athletic trainers are medical professionals who are experts in injury prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation, particularly in the orthopedic and musculoskeletal disciplines.

I have previously blogged about what exactly an ATC is. In Utah and other states you have to be licensed with the state before you can practice as an ATC. The American Medical Association has recognized Athletic Trainers as a medical profession, which means we have obey the rules that other medical professions do, such as HIPAA. HIPAA is the law that says your doctor cannot tell your next door neighbor about your medical problems without your permission.
I was covering basketball games for my friend Kristin who is the ATC at Pleasant Grove High School while she was at the state wrestling tournament. The boys were in the 2nd OT when one of them sprained his ankle. After the game while I was putting all coolers and bottles away and cleaning up the training room numberous people would come up to me and ask me how he was. I realize this kid was probably a family friend or neighbor or whatever but because of HIPAA I cannot tell you what is wrong with him. I was just taken aback by how many people were asking me about the basketball player.
Since my friend Becky had surgery, I am covering for her at American Fork High School (AF and PG are in towns next door to each other). The first week I was there was the Girls State Basketball tournament. AF was the defending state champs. In the second game one of the star players got hurt. After the game a white haired lady stopped me and asked me how she was, in my head I was thinking "oh no not again", but it turned out she was the Grandma. With HIPAA I am allowed to tell family members about her injury, especially if they are under 18 to talk to the parents. Here are some pictures from the state tournament:

The press at the game

The crowd

The bench, coach, and ref

No comments: