Pages

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Type of Candidate

I’ve been going to “Meet the Candidate” events in different cities in Utah County lately to prepare for my campaign next year. Last night it occurred to me that there is a pattern in the type of mayoral and city council candidates I am meeting.
Candidate 1: applied just to apply
Candidate 2: against another candidate or focusing on one issue
Candidate 3: they think they know what the issues are, but are not in touch with the people
Candidate 4: someone who knows the issues & has solutions to problems, and has a vision for how the city could be

I went to the Spring 2017 Provology class. Provo has a class every Wednesday (you have to sign up on the city’s website) where you learn about all the things it takes to run a city. During the class where Mayor John Curtis and City Manager Wayne Parker sat and answered attendees’ questions, someone asked Wayne what is the thing new mayors are surprised about? He answered that candidates come in with ideas on how to fix things, but after they are elected and face the reality of what an elected official can actually do in office can surprise them.

Because of this answer I decided I better learn everything about Utah County and what a Commissioner does so that there is no learning curve on day one. I’ve been meeting with county officials and employees and mayors and superintendentsMy list keeps getting longer, but I plan to meet with the Silicone Slopes tech business leaders, all the citizens of the unincorporated areas, etc, and then meeting again with Nathan Ivie and Bill Lee, current commissioners. Hopefully this will be accomplished before December because I plan on having a campaign kickoff fundraiser over Christmas break.

No comments: