Pages

Friday, July 14, 2017

One issue candidates

Yesterday, I attended the Highland and Orem city's meet the mayoral candidates. One thing I noticed was you can't be a one issue candidate, even if your motivation for running is one issue, you need to know about all the possible issues that you would need to make a judgement on while in office. 

Two days earlier on Tuesday morning, I met with the Genola mayor and we talked about the gravel pits, then I stopped by the Beckstead Mink Farm (yep it was stinky), then I went to the joint UT/SLC county meeting where they approved the change to the county boundary in Draper along future road and property lines, and then I went to the debate for the CD3 candidates. At the debate I sat with another PTA member (I joined the PTA of the elementary school around the corner) who told me about a sex education legislation her group is going to try to pass at the next legislative session. Then I stopped Katie England from the Daily Herald and talked to her about my candidacy for next year. Then I spoke to Sherrie Hall Everett about her new Provo mayoral campaign animated video. Then, lastly, I spoke to Bill Lee, current Utah County Commissioner, about Goshen's water issues and about the possibility of tagging the minks to help satisfy the upset neighbors. By the way, he said passing a law/code to require tagging isn't possible at the county level because minks have been designated a farm animal on a federal level. 

So let's count that up, 7... yep I spoke about 7 different issues in one day. I'm not sure how successful one issue candidates' campaigns are, but it's not really possible to focus solely on one issue when the Utah County Commissioner is in office for 4 years. 

No comments: