Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Happiness or Joy?

People say the phrase, " I just want _____ (insert you, me, family, friends, etc) to be happy." I don't believe that being happy is the end all and be all of existence. Anyone can make excuses for poor choices and instant gratification in the name of happiness. I don't have all the levels of happiness figured out like John Wooden's Pyramid of Success, but I do believe joy is higher than happiness. Men and women are that they might have joy (2 Nephi 2:25).

I also believe choosing to do the right thing should be a priority. When choosing to do what is right, one should pick long lasting joy instead of short term happiness or instant gratification. In the past I have picked what I believed to be the right and it did not make me happy at the time, but I do know I am on the Robert Frost path of what I should be doing for my life. Choosing to do what is right to me means I am deciding to live a higher standard that can lead me to a joyful life here on Earth and in the Eternities.


Joy is mentioned 330 times in the scriptures and study helps (Old Testament (95), New Testament (61), Book of Mormon (120), Doctrine and Covenants (33), Pearl of Great Price (7), Study Helps (14)). Joy is also listed in the Topical Guide, Index to the Triple Combination, and Guide to the Scriptures with see also topics as: Cheer, Cheerful, Conscience, Delight, Exquisite, Fulness, Glad, Gladness, Happier, Happiness, Happy, Increase, Joyous, Just, Merry, Obedience, Obedient, Obey, Pleasure, Rejoice, Season, Seventy, Shout, Song, Tidings, Unspeakable, and Worth of Souls.

No comments: