Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

No PB's - Christopher Lister Riding

I started ordering my Riding side ancestor's Patriarchal Blessings, but I haven't posted about them before today because I was waiting to post a picture of the blessings, except there haven't been any.


PB's
1. Millard E Riding 1977 American Fork

No PB
1. Thomas Edward Hale Riding
2. Mary Ellen Eardley Riding
3. Henry Excell
4. Elizabeth Austin Excell
5. Christopher Lister Riding


Ordered, Waiting for Results
1. Edward Eardley Riding
2. Eleanor Elizabeth Excell Riding
3. Mary Ann Hale Riding

Still to Order
1. John Eardley
2. Ann Cross Eardley
3. Stephen Walker
4. Eleanor/Ellen Swan Walker
5. James Austin
6. Hannah Roots Austin

I was disappointed that there was no PB for Christopher Lister Riding, he had an interesting life. He and his wife, Mary Ann Hale Riding, were my first Riding ancestors that joined the church in Burnley, Lancashire, England in 1840. Christopher and Mary Ann eventually had 9 children (3 girls and 6 boys), I descend from their 7th child (5th son), Thomas Edward Hale Riding. They crossed the plains in 1852 with 5 of their children, Thomas was born in SLC in 1856. The 1860 Census says they are living in St. George, Utah, which is where Christopher (1887), Mary Ann (1875), and Thomas (1898) died. The unique thing about Christopher is that he took a 2nd wife, Eliza Adelaide Dolbell, who was from the Jersey Island and baptized in 1844. Christopher and Eliza were married in SLC in 1856 and eventually had 14 children (7 girls and 7 boys), 3 of their children were born after Mary Ann died. In the 1870 Census Christopher, Mary Ann, Eliza, and 9 children (including Thomas) were all listed under the same household in St. George. The Census lists Mary Ann as "keeping house" and Eliza as "no occupation", but if you look at the family below, they also have an adult woman with "no occupation" listed under the husband and wife.

This was the one ancestor I knew was a polygamist. Growing up, and still to this day, people would ask if I knew of a so and so person (since I still had the Riding last name). I would say no, but we were probably related because of Christopher Lister Riding being a polygamist with over 20 children.  By the 1940 Census there are 122 people with the last name of Riding in Utah. I really only know my immediate cousins, Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents. For some reason I didn't get to know my Grandpa Riding's side of the family that well, but I did hear the story of my Grandpa's brother Reed who had died in an airplane crash in India during WW2, because that is who my Dad is named after. I was really hoping he had a PB so it could give me more insight into his spiritual side or why he had a testimony of the Gospel.

No comments: