Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

winter allergies

I had every intention of going to school today. However, my body did not. I woke up and started to sneeze like crazy and have a runny nose. It's difficult to get anything accomplished when all you do is sneeze and blow your nose. I've had this allergy for a couple of months now. The only thing I am allergic to is cats. So I have been confused about where this allergy came from when there are no cats around. It mostly happens in the mornings. I use to be able to take an OTC and a shower and the symptoms would go away, but not anymore. I now sneeze throughout the day and night. The top of my mouth use to be itchy, but now it is my lips and skin around my mouth. I looked it up on the internet and some people said it could be a food allergy, but I'm not eating anything new/different. Or it could be dust mites, that solution is to wash your sheets more frequently. So I have been doing that, and I have been sneezing more. Dave thinks it is the new laundry soap. The last time I was allergic to laundry soap I had a skin reaction, but no skin reaction this time.
Anyone else have a suggestion? I am hoping this goes away when the weather gets better.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sophie and I have bad allergies and cats are the worst on our list (after getting the scratch test at the allergist office). Watch for down comfortors and pillows. I'm allergic to dust mite (feces) and apparently after a short amount of time 70% of the actual stuffing in your pillows and comfortors consists of feces from the mites, not just down. I know you feel better knowing that. Also watch for molds. Even after all the testing I didn't show positive for any food allergies but the doctor suggested an elimination diet, which sucks, because even he said the tests they do just aren't sensitive enough to pick up everything. I did the Advocare 24-day challenge and in the process discovered avoiding dairy keeps me from getting horribly bloated and having severe stomach pain. Incredible. I was an ice cream and cheeseball snacker...gone are those days. Anyway, google their food guideline recommendations (advo911.com has it) and don't worry about the supplements/vitamins. Doing the food modification alone for 24 days then adding things back in one at a time should help tremendously. Good luck!

Teri's Blog said...

Oh I have no doubt it's from the dust mites. We get mold all the time in our flat, it has no air flow. I can't wait to move out!