Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Reverence

Alright I need help. There is this family in my ward that lets their kids wander all over and do whatever during Sacrament Meeting. It is totally disruptive, so much so that I and those around me cannot hear the speaker. I have broken up fights between the siblings, shhhhed them (using the shhh noise and a finger at my mouth), snapped my fingers, reminded them not to run in the chapel, and made them put their shoes on previously. When I did the shoes, more than once, I always told the mother (she is a convert to the church) so she is not surprised when/if the kids say something and she always tells me she has told the kids to keep their shoes on in church. So to me it sounds like the mother is trying to teach her kids good behaviour, but failing. The oldest just turned 11 and will be going to YM's next year. His behaviour is the worst of all the kids, so how do I help teach these kids reverence?

BTW, the husband comes from a family that has a history of letting children behave in this manner.

I found this quote by President Kimball:

“We are a richly blessed people. The Lord has given us everything: the gospel of Jesus Christ, the light, the priesthood, the power, the promises, the covenants, the temples, our families, the truth. We should be the happiest people on earth. We should also be the most reverent people, but here I think every individual and every family should take a look at themselves. Are we a reverent people? Do our actions in the home and at church show reverence for our Creator?

“Sometimes we wonder. We attend sacrament meetings and conferences where children wander unrestrained in the aisles. During the service, we notice adults talking with their neighbors, people dozing, and young people gathering in the foyers. We see families coming late and filing noisily to their seats, and groups engaged in loud conversation in the chapel after the meeting.

“Our thoughts turn to investigators, friends, and those whose testimonies are fragile and developing. Are our meetings the powerful missionary tools they can be, where the Spirit of the Lord reigns and penetrates hearts? Or to sense the Spirit must we first block out many needless distractions?

“Let us examine reverence, not only its meaning and importance in the lives of Latter-day Saints, but some possible ways we can teach reverence to our children and improve our performance.

No comments: