Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9 September 2001

Since this is the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, everyone has been talking about where they were and what were they doing 10 years ago. But I would rather say where I was two days before. I had the privilege of attending a CES Fireside where President Hinckley spoke at the Conference Center in SLC.

As quoted in the November 2001 Ensign: He encouraged young people attending the 9 September fireside to be faithful and optimistic. “I am suggesting that as we go through life that we try to ‘accentuate the positive,’ ” President Hinckley said, asking “that you turn from the negativism that so permeates our modern society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom you associate, that we speak of one another’s virtues more than we speak of one another’s faults. … “No matter the circumstances, I encourage you to go forward with faith and prayer, calling on the Lord. You may not receive any direct revelation, but you will discover, as the years pass, that there has been a subtle guiding of your footsteps in paths of progress and great purpose.”

My impression from the fireside was that things are going to be hard, but if you do what Heavenly Father asks of you, then you will be blessed. It was actually a short fireside and we got out before the hour was up, which is unusual. Afterward, most people gathered at the reflecting pool to talk about how strong the Spirit was; peaceful, calm, and excited.


Then two days later I understood. My testimony was strengthened that we do have a Prophet of God on Earth that receives revelation from God and was warning us about the hard times that were about to happen. He didn't promise us protection, but I do remember feeling peaceful about what was to come. Needless to say, my life has not been easy since that time, but I have felt that I have been doing what Heavenly Father wants me to do, which is where the peace comes in.

No comments: