Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day Trips 2011 - Wednesday

Wednesday

I have mentioned that I think I found my 3rd Great Grandfather John Perkins. Well, the 1841 Census says that the registration district he lived in was Shepton Mallet.


So we headed to the Shepton Mallet Visitors Information Center to get info about the area and why John Perkins would leave for Australia sometime between 1841 and 1845. Lorraine was very helpful and full of good info and just as we were leaving Fred the town historian walked in and told me there was a recession during that time period, so many people left for Australia to find a better situation. I told him I have read John's journal, so he would have been educated, which was a rare thing for the son of a laborer, so now I need to find his father in the 1841 Census and find out what his dad did for a living.


Farming was common in this area

Mining was also common

Shepton Mallet has the oldest Prison in England
We drove by it, the walls are VERY tall

In the 1841 Census, the sub-district John Perkins is in is listed as Stoke Lane, but Lorraine said that Stoke Lane is now called Stoke St Micheal.

And on the actual Census, Gurney Slade is listed as where John Perkins lives. This is one of those villages, if you blink you will miss it.


After our adventures in Somerset, we were heading to Surrey.
We happen to drive by Stonehenge


I came to help the dancers at the Surrey Hills Dance Centre because they were nice enough to fill out my surveys

This road by the dance studio looks just like BYUH campus

No comments: