Pages

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Serving

I've been busy going to more meetings to learn about issues relating to the county. Plus on Wednesday October 4th I was elected as the Franklin Neighborhood Chair. I have six Vice Chairs also elected and gave them a specific responsibility. I really need two more Vice Chairs so that everything can be accomplished. I was pretty nervous and humbled that my neighbors wanted me as the neighborhood chair. 

I have had conversations with some mayors, that the true purpose of becoming an elected official should be to serve the people. I also had similar conversations with Provo city employees about being elected as a neighborhood chair, my purpose should be to represent my neighbors to the City Council. I would be disappointed in myself if someone accused me of self-promotion or having a personal agenda, instead of wanting to serve those I am suppose to represent. 

Not only should I be serving and representing the people, but as an elected official I would have to make decisions that might be against what the people want; however, the decision would be in the best interest of the people and the county. I can't think of any specific issue right now that would apply, but the Commissioner term of service is four years so I wouldn't be surprised if something came up during that time. 

Recently I was at a lecture at the Silicon Slopes office, the speaker said that women candidates need to brag about their accomplishments so the people will vote for them. Bragging and service feel like opposites, but as a candidate you need to inform the voters of your accomplishments that make you qualified for that elected office. The speaker also said that sometimes male candidates will take credit for the female candidate's ideas, proposals, and strategies. To combat this the female candidate needs to say, "Thank you (insert name) for restating what I just said." This will help the voter realize that the female candidate had the idea in the first place.

My first semester back at BYU after mission was really difficult for me. I was so use to thinking of and serving the people of South Africa that I had a hard time doing my homework, my study time, my tests, paying for my tuition, my student athletic training hours at Mountain View High School, my classes, and don't forget to carve out time to flirt or date. I finally had a conversation with my clinical instructor and she said that her first semester back was difficult for her as well. I said to her that Athletic Training is a healthcare career and I might have to be selfish now spending time studying, but in the future this will benefit the athletes and dancers that I serve and care for. 

I believe this:

16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.
17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
18 Behold, ... and if I, ... do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another?
19 And behold also, if I, ... who has spent his days in your service, and yet has been in the service of God, do merit any thanks from you, O how you ought to thank your heavenly King!
20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another

No comments: