Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

the News

I lived in South Africa from December 1995 to May 1997. I got there after the Rugby World Cup, but everyone was still on a high from the first international win since Apartheid was over. While I was there Nelson Mandela was the President and I was able to witness the Truth and Reconciliation Commission when I was in East London. The Constitutional Convention also occurred while I was there.

While living in a foreign country you get to see events from someone elses perspective. England got a new Prime Minister the first week I arrived in the country. The end of the French Presidential campaign occurred while Dave and I were in France in April. Last summer the phone hacking scandal engulfed England and this summer was the Olympics/Paralympics. Dave works for a company called the RAC, which is like the AAA in the USA. A few months ago Dave came home from work and told me a crazy story about two patrols fighting and it ended up in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago. But I do miss watching Fox news, CNN, and Morning Joe on MSNBC. Dave was able to download the Fox, CNN, and Morning Joe apps on the new ipad so I can watch the US Presidential campaign commentary even though I have to do absentee ballot for the second time in a Presidential election.

No comments: